Downtown Employee Parking Permit Program
The Downtown Employee Parking Permit Program provides all day parking for downtown business owners
and employees. By displaying a valid parking permit on your car, you can park all day without the worry of getting a parking ticket
or moving your car from space to space. Using a parking permit is an easy way to park all day while working in downtown Los Altos.
Who Can Purchase a Permit?
All business owners and employees within the Downtown Parking District are eligible to purchase permits.
Permits are transferrable and can be shared by part-time employees.
Downtown Parking District
The Downtown Parking District includes the properties in the core of the downtown triangle that do not have off-street parking.
The following addresses are located within the parking district. If your business's address is listed below, you and your employees
are eligible to purchase a parking permit.
- Main Street: All addresses except 400 and 401
- State Street: All addresses except 170
- First Street: 197, 199, 201, 227, 235, 249 and 299
- Second Street: All addresses from 148 to 255
- Third Street: 126, 140 and 200
- Fourth Street: None
- Parking Plazas: All addresses
Where to Park
- Permit parking is only available in the North and South Parking Plazas
- Permit spaces are designated with a white dot, please view the Downtown Parking Map for the location of the white do spaces
- Permit holders may park in those spaces all day
- Non-permit holders must obey the posted time limits
Obtaining a Permit
Permits are available at the Los Altos Police Station. The cost of an annual permit is $36. Annual permits are valid from October 1st
through September 30th. Quarterly permits are also available for $12. Those purchasing quarterly permits must renew their permit every three months.
To obtain a permit, applicants must provide:
Permits can be obtained by:
- Copy of valid Los Altos business license
- Completed form with the "Verification of Employment" signed by the business owner or manager
- Payment for permits payable to "City of Los Altos"
- Mailing the application to:
Los Altos Police Department, Records Division
One North San Antonio Road
Los Altos, CA 94022
- Visiting the Police Station:
Located at the Los Altos Civic Center complex at One North San Antonio Road
Placing a Permit
- Permits must be placed in the bottom right corner of the passenger side of the front windshield
- Permit holders are responsible for ensuring that their permit is clearly displayed, otherwise you may be cited
- Permits are only valid in parking stalls marked with a white dot
Additional Information for Permit Holders
- The permits are transferrable window decals and can be shared by part-time employees
- Lost permits will not be replaced, but a new one may be purchased.
- Businesses must have a valid up-to-date business license in order to purchase permits
- Both annual and quarterly permits are available for purchase
The Los Altos Police Department enforces parking from 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
The cost of a parking ticket is $54.50 and for erasing chalk marks on tires is $104.50. It's also important to note that just because you receive
one ticket does not mean that you cannot receive another. After the first violation, if you do not move your car within posted time limits,
you can get multiple tickets. Subsequent tickets cost $104.50.
To avoid unnecessary parking tickets, please follow posted time limits and use parking spaces that meet your needs while working or visiting downtown
Los Altos. Call the Parking Enforcement Office (650) 947-2777 with questions.
For More Information
- Contact the Los Altos Police Department, Records Division at (650) 947-2770 or email us at
- The Downtown Parking Map shows the location of the white dot spaces and the general downtown parking time limits
- Download the Parking Permit Application